1) Religion: I’m an atheist, so the Jesus-y stuff (or even the Mithra stuff or any other pagan deity associated with this time of year) does nothing for me, naturally. Pushing religion down a secular nation’s throat seems wrong to me, as well. We ain’t got no claymation Ramadan specials. “I’m Incredibly Hungry, Charlie Brown.”
2) Buying shit: Rampant commercialism is disgusting. Always was, always will be. Much the same way diamond dealers spent decades tricking people into thinking the only way to express love and devotion was by making a foolhardy purchase of a price-controlled rock, so too has society been trained to spend their money for “love” (when all they are really accomplishing is lining the pockets of cynical billionaires). I like to get things for people, but it feels better to me when its natural and about the thing you found being right for that person, than “its X time of year, so I must get them a piece of shit thing or I am bad for reasons.”
3) Lying to children: I know people think this is “cute”, but it is pretty child abuse-y in my book. It also devalues to idea of “giving” when the monetary sacrifice made to buy things for children is done so under the pretense of “magic.” Giving is sacrifice…I give to you because I care about you. Once that part of the concept goes away it no longer teaches the child anything of real value other than “be good for presents.”
4) The damned music: enough already….no more xmas songs. Again, most of them were made in attempt to cash in where other have before: by tying their product to a false sense of nostalgia, thereby masking their innate cynicism and cash lust.
5) Elves are gay: not in the good, homosexual way. The bad way. The way 12 year kids say “gay” but aren’t thinking of dongs.
6) Familial facade: many dysfunctional families put on the nice face and suffer under the pretense that they are a happy unit, merely because its Xmas. Its very sad to see people using a BS holiday to pretend to be happy instead of doing to real heavy emotional lifting year round in an effort to BE a little nicer to each other. You don’t need a tree or a circled day on the calendar to get together.
7) Fruitcake: fucking fruitcake.
8 ) Cycle of work and disappointment: it seems like in America, xmas comes, then goes, then people spend the next year just working towards to goal of it being xmas again. Maybe Sisyphus and his boulder would be a better xmas holiday mascot than Santa?
9) The decorations: the frickin’ lights waste so much energy this year…the impact on the environment (which, y’know, is the thing that makes us NOT DIE) is MASSIVE. Wasteful, polluting, and ugly.
10) Santa Clause is a creepy child stalking bastard: “Hey, kid…an old fat man in red pajamas watches you. All. The. TIME. He also judges you and sneaks into your house. You are so fucked, kid.” Terrifying.